Hamilton Intermediate Student Earns "Agriculture is Cool" Essay Award
Hamilton Intermediate School 5th grader, Kieran Shaw is one of four students in the state selected to receive the fifth annual “Agriculture is Cool” scholarship award funded by the Ohio Expositions Commission Youth Reserve Program.
Kieran was among dozens of students who submitted essays or creative stories about the “Agriculture is Cool” education program held during the 2016 Ohio State Fair in conjunction with the Ohio Department of Agriculture, Ohio Farm Bureau and Ohio's agricultural commodity groups. His essay was selected as one of the best in the state.
Representatives from the Ohio State Fair, Ohio Department of Agriculture and Ohio Farm Bureau presented Kieran with a $500 check during a special assembly at his school. During the presentation, Kieran read his essay to his classmates. You can read Kieran's essay by clicking the link below.
The “Agriculture is Cool” program has been recognized by the International Association of Fairs and Expositions as the best special or specific agricultural education exhibit, event or program for the fair-going public for fairs with annual attendance between 500,001 and 1 million. It included several interactive education stations throughout the Fair where students could learn about:
One in seven Ohioans has an agriculture-related job. Every year, farmers in Ohio produce 7.6 billion eggs, 379 million pounds of chicken, 5.5 million turkeys, 278 million pounds of red meat, 1.1 billion pounds of pork and nearly 616 million gallons of milk. There are 126,000 sheep and lambs in Ohio, making Ohio the largest sheep producing state east of the Mississippi River.
- The many ways Ohio's largest industry, agriculture, impacts many facets of their everyday lives
- Modern dairy farming and how dairy farmers take care of their cows to produce safe and wholesome milk and milk a real cow
- How agriculture relates to sports, from baseball bats to mitts, footballs, turf and more
- Animal care and witnessing the birth of farm animals, along with the interaction between new babies and their mothers
- How modern-day tractors help Ohio farmers maintain crops
- The beef industry and nutrition, environmental stewardship, recycling and more
- Soy and corn production and the various uses in food, fuel and other modern items
- How barns protect Ohio animals and keep them healthy
- Eggs and various poultry breeds
- How wool is spun into yarn and how the process has become more technologically innovative over time
- How to protect themselves from harmful bacteria
For more information, call 1-888-0HO-EXPO or 1-614-644-FAIR. On the Web, visit the Ohio State Fair online at ohiostatefair.com.
The Ohio Expo Center is proud to host the Ohio State Fair. With a spectacular midway, big-name entertainment, hundreds of exhibits and one of the largest junior fair shows in the nation, the 2017 Ohio State Fair will run July 25 - Aug. 5, 2017.